Tax Problems with HMRC
The Team has a wide range of tax experience with both companies and individuals with a special focus on the construction, property and self-employed sectors. We assist with tax planning and the submission of returns to HMRC.
We work with specialist tax advisers for particularly complex matters so whatever the issue we will have someone available with the expertise to advise our clients. Sometimes tricky issues arise with HMRC or returns have not been submitted correctly and we work on behalf of the client with HMRC to resolve issues as easily as possible.
Recent assignments include:
- Taxation planning around the sale of parcels of land with development potential.
- Assisting with inheritance tax planning including creation of trusts.
- Advising on a dispute arising from incorrect tax planning advice by a former accountant on let property income requiring it to be unravelled with repairs to both self assessment for personal and company returns; commissioning an expert report; liaising with legal advisers and advising on negotiations.
- Assisting a client with submission of six years of outstanding personal self assessments.
- Advising on taxation of let properties.
- Dealing with Let Property Campaign disclosures. and negotiating with HMRC on the tax due, interest and penalties.
- Successfully appealing against significant self assessment penalties (of over £5,000) covering several years with all penalties cancelled.
- IR 35 advice.
- Advice to UK residents moving abroad.
- Advice to non-UK nationals working in the UK.
- Advice to non-domiciled UK resident.
- Advice to UK companies exporting to Europe in the event of a no deal Brexit.
- Routine advice, tax planning and submissions to HMRC.·
“David’s ability to sort out our tax affairs, which were admittedly in a serious mess and included undeclared rental income and unsubmitted tax returns going back years, was fantastic. I can’t thank him enough for getting us out of big trouble and successfully appealling against draconian penalties from HMRC. I even got a tax rebate – amazing! David is a magician!” – Director, Berkshire.
“Huge thanks to you David for helping us with a sensitive and tricky matter surrounding our rental properties on which we had previously received incorrect tax advice. This required our personal and business tax returns to be corrected and large amounts of additional tax to be paid to HMRC to correct the mistakes. This has resulted in a dispute with former advisers. Your knowledge, diligence, patience and tenacity is appreciated beyond words.” Business owner, Essex.
“I am very grateful to David for the care he has taken to help me with my tax affairs following my move abroad. I had no idea that countries even within the EU could make things so complicated! David’s coordination of my various advisers has been hugely helpful and relieved me of much stress. He has gone to considerable lengths to understand the various tax issues facing me and has navigated our way through the relevant Double Tax Treaty with enthusiasm.” Business owner, Germany.